On Misrepresenting Lloyd Morgan's Canon
2002) On Misrepresenting Lloyd Morgan's Canon. (
Full text available as:
In a recent, quite useful, contribution, Roger Thomas lamented the misrepresentation of Lloyd Morgan's canon. I agree with much of what Dr. Thomas wrote but we disagree with regard to the language used in discussing the canon. Difficulties arise regarding the concepts of "simple" versus "complex," "related" versus "unrelated," and "misrepresentation." Disagreements concerning language should not be allowed to retard achievement of a better general understanding of Morgan's canon.
|Commentary on:||2001) Lloyd Morgan's Canon: A History of Misrepresentation. (|
|Keywords:||animal behavior, anthropomorphism, comparative psychology, Lloyd Morgan, Occam's razor, simplicity|
|Subjects:||Chronology > 20th Century|
Geography > Europe
History > Intellectual
Psychology > Animal/Comparative/Ethology
Psychology > Cognition
Psychology > Evolution
Psychology > Methodology
Theory > Epistemology
Theory > Philosophy of Science
|Deposited By:||Green, Christopher D.|
|Deposited On:||30 January 2002|
- Lloyd Morgan's Canon: A History of Misrepresentation. (deposited 15 August 2001).
- Comment on Roger Thomas' "Lloyd Morgan's Canon: A History of Misrepresentation". (deposited 21 January 2002).
- Reply to Black and Wozniak on "Lloyd Morgan's Canon: A History of Misrepresentation". (deposited 21 January 2002).
- On Misrepresenting Lloyd Morgan's Canon. (deposited 30 January 2002) [Currently Displayed] .
- Reply to Dewsbury on "On Misrepresenting Lloyd Morgan's Canon: Comment on Thomas". (deposited 03 February 2002).